Saturday 11 April 2015

FW Worlds, Day 3

Today we had 4 races.
In the morning it looked like a calm day, and the AP was put up. But soon the wind increased to 10-15 and we went racing. On the course there were some lulls, but I think the average was 14-17 knots. I was overpowered on 12.5 but so was half of the fleet. The other half went out on 11. Nevertheless, I finished in 19th place.
I managed to change down to 10.7 between the first and the second race. And that was great because when I went back out I was already overpowered on 10.7 and so was everyone. I was so eager to do well in this race that I jumped the gun and got an OCS. Too bad, I think I finished that race in TOP20 as well.
Then we had a short lunch break, during which almost everyone changed down to 10s, But as you know I don't have a 10. So I was a big boy and went out with 10.7 again. This time I lengthened my harness lines by around 3 inches, and that made going in these hard conditions so much easier. I was still slow as a dog on the upwind, but I wasn't flying away and on the downwind I was going at the speed of light - so much fun. Surprisingly people on 10s were not much faster than me and after the break I finished 20th and 22nd.

Still not perfect result, but taking into account that I never liked strong wind and now after 6 months break I haven't started liking them any more I consider this a fair result in this very strong fleet.
Tomorrow there is a storm coming through, gusting up to 47 knots - so it is gonna be interesting.
Sorry, no photos today.

No comments:

Post a Comment