Tuesday 7 April 2015

Formula Windsurfing World Championship, Registration Day

Today is the first day of 2015 Formula Windsurfing World Championship. Although we only had registration, practice race and opening ceremony today.
The conditions - wow. Again very gusty and very shifty (5 to 25 knots), but on top of that we had huge swell rolling into the bay. I mean sometimes you couldn't see the guy who was sailing 50 meters in front of you. I would say the wave was around 2.5 meters. Nevertheless it was quite a soft one, so it wasn't to difficult to go over it. Anyway, I haven't sailed in waves that big for a few years now so it was quite scary at first.
I did to sessions today one in the morning where I was so scared by the wave I didn't really think about sailing. And then in the afternoon I did the practice race. Only 4 guys came to the starting line (out of 29 registered sailors). I didn't have my starting watch so my start wasn't the best but later I was just happy to be able to sail quite comfortably in these conditions. Everyone was confused about the course, how many laps we had to do and so on. In the end no one finished the race, but it was fun just to go around the course, check your laylines and get acquainted with the gusts.


In the evening we had a nice opening ceremony with a lot of food. Was really nice to see all guys to finally gather up in one place. And again I could see how strong this fleet is gonna be.
Anyway, I am trying to get a nice night sleep and be ready for tomorrow. The forecast is showing the same direction just a bit lighter wind and a bit smaller wave.





No comments:

Post a Comment