Tuesday 20 August 2013

FW Europeans Day 5 Formula

After the slalom racing was done we moved on to formula racing. The wind was average around 16-20 knots, but the wave was really steep and difficult to climb over. Especially difficult for me, the only one in TOP 30 on SB 167 wide board.
For the first race I went out on 10.7 and it was OK, - I could control the sail but the board was doing everything it wanted on the upwind leg. As that was not bad enough I got a bad start. This one goes for a discard.
I changed down to 9.6 for the second race. It was very easy to control the sail - almost no efforts at all. So I dedicated all my energy to control the board. It was going a bit better, but another terrible start messed it all up again. Once again race for a discard.
After the break I concentrated and just went for a perfect start. Struggling in the upwind, but just flying downwind. I was overtaking 3-5 guys on every downwind leg and they were doing the same to me in the upwind. 21st at the finish line - reasonable result for such conditions.
The last race was a bit similar to the third one. Just that I missed the lay line to the downwind gates in the first lap. As a result I lost 4 places. Finished 25th.

So overall I was 22nd and 2nd in youth. The result like I was expecting in these wavy conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment